If your dog has been diagnosed with arthritis, you will do everything you can to make sure your companion isn’t suffering. After diagnosis, talk to your veterinarian and make a plan for treatment that’s right for your dog’s individual needs. At Heart of Chelsea Animal Hospital, we care deeply about your pet’s comfort and will provide you with the tools to give your dog a happy, comfortable life.
- Diet: Maintaining a healthy weight puts less stress on your dog’s joints and muscles, making life with arthritis easier. Talk to your veterinarian about choosing food that contains helpful, pain-fighting ingredients like Omega acids and glucosamine.
- Exercise: Just like in people, keeping your dog’s joints and muscles active and moving keeps the pain at bay. Regular exercise also helps control your pet’s weight, which lessens the pain associated with arthritis.
- Medication: Work with your veterinarian to determine a medication regimen suitable for your dog. Pain relief and anti-inflammatory drugs are commonly prescribed to relieve your pet’s discomfort. In addition, your vet may recommend supplements like fish oil pills, which are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Assistance: Aches and pains don’t prevent dogs from wanting to do what they love, like sleep next to you, watch TV on the couch, or go for a car ride. There are a variety of products like ramps or stairs that allow your dog access to its favorite spots without having to strain its joints by jumping.
- Comfort: Arthritic dogs need a comfortable home to feel their best. Soft bedding, slip-free floors, and padded areas to sit or lie will give your dog relief in its day-to-day activities.
Following these tips and treatments will lead to a comfortable life for your arthritic dog. Talk to your veterinarian about these and other ways to create a pain-free life at home. Call Heart of Chelsea Animal Hospital at (212) 924-6116 to make an appointment with our exceptional veterinary staff today.